Picking a name for your child is never easy, especially since most children will have to live with that moniker for the rest of their lives. While many parents take a long time to decide on a name, it doesn’t mean they won’t have regrets in the end, and it seems a lot of moms and dads do.
A new UK survey, which could easily translate here, finds that one in seven parents feel they made a “terrible mistake” with their kid’s name, with 28% actually admitting to their kid they regret the name, and another 10% of kids telling their parents they don’t like their name either.
Many parents insist they loved their kid's name at the time they gave it to them, but their opinions went on to change. As for what prompted them to eventually despise the name, 20% say it’s because the name eventually became too popular, while 10% started to hate it when a celebrity chose it for their baby.
Other reasons parents regret their kid’s name include:
- I was pressured into choosing a name by my partner/ family member
- I’ve just gone off it
- I no longer think it fits them
- My friend chose the same name for their baby
- It’s too unusual
- It’s difficult to spell
- Someone with the same name became famous
- It sounds like something rude or awkward when you put it with their middle name/ surname
- And celebrities certainly play a big role in moms and dads getting put off by a name. In fact, one third of parents say they dislike a name if it’s shared by someone famous with Donald the most disliked name for that reason.